LYONS, CO – The originators of craft-beer-in-a-can, Oskar Blues Brewery, aren’t technically old enough to drink yet, but they will celebrate 20 years of business at their original location in Lyons, Colorado over the first weekend in May. Established in 1997 as a funky Cajun restaurant, the Oskar Blues Grill & Brew stays true to its roots for the celebration that will serve up a heavy dose of music, beer and food, featuring a record-setting birthday cake made of more than 2,000 Hotbox donuts.
Alabama-native Dale Katechis and crew began brewing in the basement at the restaurant in 1999 with the inception of Dale’s Pale Ale. Though putting craft beer in a can seemed comical at the time, Dale gave it a shot and, eventually, the craft-beer-in-a-can craze took off. To celebrate the canning tradition, Oskar Blues is adding ounces to the traditional Dale’s Pale Ale, which will be available in special commemorative 16oz cans from restaurants and bars nationwide starting in May.
Here’s a rundown of everything there is for the enjoyment of your eyes and ears:
Friday, May 5th
• 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Classic southern crawfish boil + kegger complete with Oskar Blues solo cups
• 8:30 p.m. Lil Smokies featuring opening band Spring Fever with Sally Van Meter; tickets are $15 in advance, $18 day of show
• $30 gets you access to the crawfish boil and the tunes
Saturday, May 6th
• Food from CHUBurger, Cyclhops, Oskar Blues Grill (yup – burgers, fajitas, a pig roast and oysters)
• Hotbox Roasters is making an attempt to set a world record with a 20 year anniversary cake featuring more than 2,000 donuts
• Outside Stage, no cover: Interstate Stash Express at 5:30 pm & Halden Wofford & the Hi Beams at 7pm
• Inside Stage: 8:30 p.m. Slim Cessna’s Auto Club, featuring opening band Gasoline Lollipops
Sunday, May 7th
• Pancake breakfast with Hotbox Roasters coffee to benefit CAN’d Aid Foundation with suggested $5 donation
• 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Danny Shafer
• 3:00 p.m. Free Blues and Legacy Music Day including stars of the Colorado blues scene
Along with classic Oskar Blues beers, a specialty beer, 2xTwenty, will be available to imbibe for the anniversary weekend. 2xTwenty, a small batch Nitro Red Ale brewed in Lyons, features Pilsner malt and an experimental malt called Steamed C40 developed by maltsters Malteurop and Craft Masters. It finishes with a silky smooth mouthfeel and has a pinch of Eldorado Hops that provide a deep maltiness with fruity flavors and packs in 7.1% ABV.
The weekend will conclude on Sunday with some “Best of OB” highlights from artists who’ve played over the years and helped put Grill & Brew on the musical map. Expect some classics like Erica Brown, Lionel Young, Johnny O and a handful of surprise appearances that dubbed Oskar Blues “the hottest place to be on a Saturday night in Colorado” by Rolling Stone
The 20th anniversary party in Lyons the first weekend in May will celebrate the Oskar Blues community. Bands new to Oskar Blues Grill & Brew and bands who have graced its stage for years will make appearances over the weekend and attendees won’t have to choose between an oyster bar, crawfish boil, pig roast or taco…they can have it all.
About Oskar Blues Brewery
Founded 20 years ago in Lyons, Colorado, Oskar Blues Brewery launched the craft beer-in-a-can apocalypse with their hand-canned, flagship brew Dale’s Pale Ale. Today, Oskar Blues is one of the fastest growing breweries in the country and operates breweries in Colorado, North Carolina and Texas. Oskar Blues produced more than 200,000 barrels in 2016 and Dale’s Pale Ale earned the nation’s top-selling craft can six-pack at U.S supermarkets.
The original craft beer canners continue to push innovation with creations like The CROWLER, Hotbox Coffee Roasters, B. Stiff & Sons Old Fashioned Sodas, Oskar Blues Fooderies and REEB Cycles. Oskar Blues is available in all 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., parts of Canada, Puerto Rico, Sweden, Spain, Chile, the Netherlands, Belgium, the U.K., Ireland and Australia.
About Can’d Aid Foundation
CAN’d Aid Foundation is all about diggin’ in and makin’ a difference where we CAN. Our “do-goodery” is focused on:
• Towns – building strong communities
• Tunes – for your eyeholes and earholes
• Treads + Trails – get outside and get after it!
• Love Yur Mama – save the blue marble
About Oskar Blues Fooderies
A few things that will always go together at Oskar Blues Fooderies: Craft Beer, Fresh Ingredients, Live Music and our Family & Friends. As a multi concept restaurant group founded in 1997, OBF is focused on creating a special occasion every day. Chef/Partner Jason Rogers and Director of Ops/Partner Anita Gray oversee Oskar Blues Fooderies, creating, growing and sustaining the restaurants on a minute by minute basis.